Re: Copy and Pasting in Emacs...

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Copy and Pasting in Emacs...
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 13:44:35 GMT

> To copy a line in emacs i
> (a)put the cursor at the beginning of the line
> (b)press CTRL+SPACEBAR
> (c)put the cursor at the end of the line
> (d)press ALT+W (where ALT = metakey)
> (e)press CTRL-Y
[...]
> I open up Emacs on this remote machine.
> But the steps (a) to (e) above will not work, i cannot copy a line.

I strongly suspect that not all of steps a to e fail.
So if you tell us which step(s) fail(s), we might be able to help you
a little better.  My crystal ball tells me that maybe C-SPC is the culprit
because it is not always supported by terminal emulators.  Try C-@ instead.
Or maybe it's the M-w that doesn't work because Alt is not properly mapped
to Meta by the terminal emulator (it should be turned into an ESC char).

Tell us also how you "put the cursor at ..." and what is the value of $TERM.

        Stefan "who'd use C-k C-y to copy and then C-y to yank"