Re: allowing scroll to move point off screen

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: allowing scroll to move point off screen
Date: 14 Mar 2004 08:07:09 +0200

> Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 12:36:39 -0500 (EST)
> From: "Vincent A. Fiano" <ynniv@cc.gatech.edu>
>
> I've been using emacs for many years, but I really like the way that the
> simple GUI editors scroll - they leave the cursor at the same buffer
> position even if it is off screen.  This has the advantage of being able
> to look at another part of the buffer, but snap back to your current
> buffer position by typing or moving the point.
>
> It seems that keeping the point on the screen is hard coded into the
> redisplay function of emacs

Right.

> but is there any way to allow the scroll bar and mouse wheel to move
> the point off the screen?

No.  Keeping point visible at all times is one of the most important
design goals of the Emacs redisplay engine.

See the variable scroll-preserve-screen-position for something that
might help you.

Also, in Emacs you can have more than one window looking at the same
buffer, each window with its own value of point.