Re: ispell problem

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: ispell problem
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 11:25:21 +0200

> From: "Charles Stapleton" <cStapleton@no.junk>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 23:52:23 GMT
>
> I'm using Emacs 21.2.1 on Win 2000.  I downloaded ISpEnFrGe.exe from
> http://www.luziusschneider.com/Speller/English/.   I installed it, and
> pointed emacs to the ipell file using
>
> (setq ispell-program-name "D:\\emacs-21.2\\lisp\\textmodes\\ispell.exe")

Hmm... not a very good place for a program.  It's better to put it in
some directory mentioned in your PATH.

> When I try to spell check I get the message "Can't open
> c:\usr\local\lib\english.hash".  I could create this directory structure and
> copy this hash file to it, but why is it not looking in the directory I
> pointed it to?

You pointed it at the ispell.exe program, but you didn't point it at
the directory where it should find its dictionary.  You should set the
variable ispell-dictionary to the full path to the file ispell.hash as
installed on your system.  The default value of ispell-dictionary is
nil, which means ispell.exe will use the path hard-wired into it at
build time, which evidently is c:\usr\local\lib\english.hash.