Re: emacsclient not working as documented

From: Sparky
Subject: Re: emacsclient not working as documented
Date: 26 Apr 2004 05:37:15 -0700

Benjamin Rutt <rutt.4+news@osu.edu> wrote in message >

> CVS is pretty easy to learn, but to help you get started building
> emacs from CVS, here are the basic commands I use:
>
> $ cd /tmp
> $ mkdir emacsbuild
> $ cd emacsbuild
> $ export CVS_RSH=ssh
> $ cvs -z3 -d :ext:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs
> $ cd emacs
> $ ./configure
> $ make bootstrap
> $ su -c 'make install'
>
> Then, to try it out, just run /usr/local/bin/emacs.
>
> If the build fails, you can always replace the cvs command with
>
> cvs -z3 -d :ext:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co -D "2 days ago"
> emacs
>
> and keep trying larger values for the 2 in "2 days ago" until you get
> checkout one that builds.
>
> Hope this helps,

Thanks very much for the instructions - much appreciated. It all
worked perfectly and emacsclient is indeed working as expected from
the command line now. I don't imagine many people use the jump to
column feature in emacs, but it will be a lifesaver when editing music
notation in lilypond.

Many thanks

Mark