Re: define Info's "dir"?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: define Info's "dir"?
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 21:03:15 +0200

> Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 08:35:59 -0400 (EDT)
> From: gebser@speakeasy.net
>
> I'm not the original poster, but I'd like to be able to set the default
> directory interactively and change it from time to time.  The motivation
> is that I sometimes work on a project whose (multiple) files all reside,
> or will reside, in a particular directory (or subdirs of it.  As a
> fictional example, suppose I'm working on economics today.  Throughout
> the day I create several files which I want to have in econ/national/,
> econ/state/, econ/local/, and econ/international.  In this case I'd want
> the default directory to be /home/ken/projects/writings/politics/econ/
> but wouldn't want to have to type that in every time I visit a file.
> I'm aware of "M-x cd" but this sets "default-directory" only for that
> buffer.

Why don't you invoke Info directly on the manual you want to read (see
the doc string of "C-h i" where it describes what happens if it is
invoked with a prefix arg)?

> I'd like a function (defun in emacspeak, yes?) which is global,
> i.e., sets the default-directory no matter which buffer I'm currently
> visiting.  Is there such a nicety?

You could craft up something that modifies the value of
Info-directory-list, but IIRC info.el consults this list only when it
is first invoked.  That is, the contents of the DIR node are computed
only once in an Emacs session.  So changing Info-directory-list after
that will not help at all.