Re: How to convert .doc to plain text ascii in emacs.

From: Yoni Rabkin Katzenell
Subject: Re: How to convert .doc to plain text ascii in emacs.
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 18:13:18 GMT

Don Saklad <dsaklad@nestle.csail.mit.edu> writes:

> What related emacs commands are there that might convert an rmail
> attachment from .doc to plain text ascii ?...
>
> It is an rmail message distributed from local government about an
> upcoming public hearing.

I heard that Antiword [http://www.winfield.demon.nl/] can convert doc
files into plain text and postscript. Note though, that I have never
used the software myself.

I would also be good to inform the body in question that they are making
a grave mistake and effectively endorsing a commercial product by
forcing people to purchase Microsoft Windows in order to take part in
governmental activities.

More on word attachments at:
[http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html]

        Regards, Yoni Rabkin Katzenell