Re: How to *completely* disable font-lock mode in my .emacs?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How to *completely* disable font-lock mode in my .emacs?
Date: 29 Apr 2004 08:08:51 +0200

> From: Eric Smith <eric-no-spam-for-me@brouhaha.com>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: 28 Apr 2004 15:06:16 -0700
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
> > That would be a bad default, since most Emacs users do want color on
> > the text terminal.
>
> No, most Emacs users want text they can read.

Obviously, having the text readable is higher priority than having
colors.  Nevertheless, having colors is also a high priority, as
anyone who read this forum back when Emacs didn't support that would
tell you.

> If guessing colors can commonly render unreadable text (and it can),
> the default should be no color.

I don't think it guesses wrong ``commonly'', but in any case I agree
with what someone else said here: improving the guesswork is better
than disabling it, when the feature is wanted by many users.

> There is very little downside to not having color

See, this is where many (most?) Emacs users disagree with you.

> and it can be manually enabled

Well, it's off by default, so what you ask is already there.