RE: browse gcide with Emacs?

From: Patrick Cassidy
Subject: RE: browse gcide with Emacs?
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 07:27:26 -0400

Concerning the tags in the GCIDE:

jcorneli@math.utexas.edu wrote:

> Does anyone know of a major that is suitable for browsing the GCIDE
> (GNU version of The Collaborative International Dictionary of
> English)?  I'm not up on SGML-like systems.  I've had reasonable
> luck browsing this resource with lynx --force-html, but I have the
> feeling that this is somewhat lossy.  w3-preview-this-buffer does
> not seem to work for this purpose at all.

   The HTML-like tags are completely non-standard, designed
only to be mnemonic field tags to make automatic data extraction
simple and help proof-readers find the sections they are
concerned with.  No browser will be able to interpret them,
except for the <i> and <b> tags which are used in a few
places.

 The meanings of the field tags are described in:

  ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcide/gcide-0.46/tagset.web

  One can browse the GCIDE with any word processor
or text editor, but the field tags will be visible
in those applications.  If you want to see the
text without the tags, you can rename any of the files
with an .html extension and put <html> at the top
and </html> at the bottom, and an internet browser
should ignore all the tags it doesn't understand
and show only the text.

  If one wants to convert the file into another form,
a simple macro can convert or remove the tags.
If you have any questions about this, you can send me
a note at:
    pat@micra.com

 Pat

Patrick Cassidy

MICRA, Inc.                      || (908) 561-3416
735 Belvidere Ave.               || (908) 668-5252 (if no answer above)
Plainfield, NJ 07062-2054

internet:   pat@micra.com