Re: How to *completely* disable font-lock mode in my .emacs?

From: Joe Corneli
Subject: Re: How to *completely* disable font-lock mode in my .emacs?
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 19:51:24 -0500

   AFAIK, X resources aren't used on a text-terminal.

Hm, well I nevertheless have good results both under X and on a
terminal, and moreover, in the case of a terminal, the background
can be either dark or light background, and Emacs adjusts the
*default* face accordingly.  The font lock setup I use is optimized
for a dark background, including plenty of yellow etc., so I don't
really advise using it on a terminal with a light background unless
you have to.

I should probably have posted this little .emacs snippet too, which
is useful in combination with the .Xdefaults config.  This is only
relevant under X; its purpose is to keep flickering at startup time
down to a minimum.

(Cf. http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2004-02/msg00757.html)

(cond (window-system
       (setq default-frame-alist
             '((internal-border-width . 2)
               (border-width . 2)
               (left-fringe . 0)
               (right-fringe . 0)
               (menu-bar-lines . 0)
               (tool-bar-lines . 0)
               (tool-bar-lines . 0)
               (modeline . t)
               (width . 85)
               (height . 32)
               (background-mode . dark)
               (display-type . color)
               (cursor-color . "DeepPink1")
               (background-color . "black")
               (foreground-color . "white")
               (border-width . 2)
               (font
                . "-misc-fixed-medium-r-*-*-13-*-*-*-*-*-*-*")))
       (set-scroll-bar-mode nil)
       (blink-cursor-mode -1)
       (tooltip-mode -1)))