Re: How to convert .doc to plain text ascii in emacs.

From: gebser
Subject: Re: How to convert .doc to plain text ascii in emacs.
Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 10:44:17 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks very much.  Your elisp works great.  There's one glitch (which I
realize is from antiword):

The three characters "\342\200\231" should be replaced by the single
apostrophe character (').  To do this by hand, I did

M-x replace-regexp Return C-q 342 Return C-q 200 Return C-q 231 Return
Return ' Return

but this does not find the intended string.  The problem seems to be
that C-q 342 is immediately (in the minibuffer) converted into an 'a'
with a grave symbol over it.  Putting the point on the backslash (\)
preceding the 342 in the antiword-converted buffer and doing "C-u C-x ="
indeed shows this a-with-grave character to be (0342, 226, 0xe2).

To create a simple test case, do the following:

Open an empty *scratch* buffer.  Enter into it: C-q 342 Return C-q 200
Return C-q 231 Return.  The first character that appears is the
a-with-grave; the second and third characters appear properly as
\200\231.

It is, I think, the failure of C-q 342 to be represented as \342 which
is the problem.  What is the solution?

tia,
ken

[....]