Re: On Savannah: What are "arch" and "bidi" and ....

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: On Savannah: What are "arch" and "bidi" and ....
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 10:07:38 -0600

Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> At the risk of appearing stupid, would somebody please tell me the
> purpose of the various named branches in the Emacs CVS repository.  I've
> been seeing these names bandied about on the emacs-devel mailing list for
> months, and haven't had the courage to ask before now.

You should ask on the emacs-devel mailing list then.

> So, what are the "arch", "bidi", "lexical", "multi-tty", "RC", (Miles's)
> "tiling", "Unicode" branches for?  Is there anywhere on savannah I could
> have looked to find the answer myself?

arch is a new version control system, aka tla.  I don't understand the
relationship between CVS and arch, though.

bidi is the branch that supports bidirectional text, i.e. right-to-left
languages as well as left-to-right.

lexical is the branch that implements Emacs Lisp with lexical
(vs. dynamic) binding.

multi-tty is the branch that supports, uh, multiple ttys (for a single
emacs instance).

tiling is the branch that implements some fancy image features, like
background images.

unicode is obviously the branch that (fully) support Unicode -- it might
even use it as the internal encoding.

--
Kevin Rodgers