Re: project object browser

From: Klaus Berndl
Subject: Re: project object browser
Date: 19 May 2004 09:19:26 +0200

On Tue, 18 May 2004, Micha Feigin wrote:

>  On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 08:45:17AM +0100, Jason Rumney wrote:
> > Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> writes:
> >
> > > Its the main feature I currently miss. I found M-/ and C-M-/ for
> > > completion, (which seems to and indicate that the functionality can
> > > exist) and ecb gives me a view of the current file (which replaces the
> > > function menu that I miss from xemacs).
> >
> > The function menu is imenu, and is available in Emacs as well. But if
> > you have ECB then you already have a "class browser" as part of that.
>
>  ecb doesn't exactly have a class browser. When in the header file it
>  does show the class, but when in the .cpp file it just shows the
>  functions grouped by class. I can't see the class member variables for
>  example (the main feature I am missing).
>
>  I guess that part of the problem is that emacs doesn't have am idea on
>  a project and thus doesn't know where to get the class definition.

You are right - but the situation is going better and better - at least with
semantic (part of the cedet suite). With semantic you can at least define
where to search for include-files (header-files) and then junp to them via
click in ECB. But you are right - in a cpp-file you do not have a complete
overlook of the contents of a class - surely a point we should think about it
- good suggestion - i will discuss this with Eric Ludlum (author of semantic).

Klaus

--
Klaus Berndl                    mailto: klaus.berndl@sdm.de
sd&m AG                         http://www.sdm.de