Re: Which mail client?

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Which mail client?
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 10:25:46 +1000

>>>>> "exits" == exits funnel <exitsfunnel@yahoo.com> writes:

 exits> Hello, I'd like to start using EMACS as my email client.  I've
 exits> been researching the topic on the web and it seems there are
 exits> many choices: gnus, rmail, vm.  Are they all three still
 exits> actively maintained?  I don't want to spend time trying to
 exits> learn something only to find out that it's no longer
 exits> maintained/updated. I guess I'm really just wondering what
 exits> other people use and/or suggest.  Thanks in advance for any
 exits> replies!

I've been using VM for e-mail for about 7 years and find it works
really well. The package is being actively maintained and has a active
user group. It supports most options you would probably be looking for
- imap, pop, maylcrypt, etc can easily be configured to handle
different attachments and mime types - for example, I've got mine
setup so that if someone sends me a word file, it is automatically
translated into text and displayed in the buffer. You can also
configure it to fire up an external program if you prefer (e.g. xpdf
for pdf attachments or a graphic viewer for many forms of graphics
which are or may not be supported natively by emacs etc. It also has
some nice features, like virtual folders and contributers have made
extensions avilable to make it easy to incorporate various anti-spamm
solutions etc.

Tim

--
Tim Cross