Re: is easy to get hung in infinite ^G stream; how to stop it?

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: is easy to get hung in infinite ^G stream; how to stop it?
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 02:56:39 -0400

In article <c93vha$eav$1@reader2.panix.com>,
 dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

> PS: One puzzle: what's this stuff about how wonderful
> "ed" is?  (Yes, is better than ex for *scripts*, for sure) --
> how does it relate to this post?  Except to suggest
> that when in *shell* I should use ed rather than vi --
> again, vi is only an easy way to get the ^G problem
> (and I very often do use ex from *shell*).

In general, when you're in a *shell* buffer, you can't use any
full-screen applications.  The shell buffer is not emulating a video
terminal, it's more like a dumb hardcopy terminal.

One thing that will help alot is to set $PAGER to "cat" when you're in a
shell buffer.  Put the following in your .cshrc:

if ( $?EMACS ) setenv PAGER cat

This should avoid most unintentional use of "more" or "less".

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA