Re: is easy to get hung in infinite ^G stream; how to stop it?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: is easy to get hung in infinite ^G stream; how to stop it?
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 19:34:43 GMT

> Please, can the gurus here try doing vi (as
> simple way to cause the problem) in *shell* --
> where M-x shell gets me into my standard shell, csh.

Thank you for assuming I posted an answer without trying to reproduce
your problem.

> Then, see if *you* (said gurus) can escape.

I did `: q RET' and got back to a prompt.

Admittedly, I didn't get the same behavior as you did.  So maybe if you
give us more details about your system, your shell, show us the output of
`printenv' before you run `vi', and also show us how you got there,
starting from `emacs -q --no-site-file'.

> PS: One puzzle: what's this stuff about how wonderful
> "ed" is?  (Yes, is better than ex for *scripts*, for sure) --
> how does it relate to this post?  Except to suggest
> that when in *shell* I should use ed rather than vi --
> again, vi is only an easy way to get the ^G problem
> (and I very often do use ex from *shell*).

Just that your "example session" looked strikingly similar to the one in the
ed joke (which comes straight out of the etc/JOKES file in the Emacs
distribution) and that this ed joke is my favorite geek joke.

        Stefan