Re: Book writing mode?

From: Micha Feigin
Subject: Re: Book writing mode?
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 16:59:32 +0300

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 11:33:42PM +0200, LEE Sau Dan wrote:

>     gebser> I'm sure that latex is very nice, but if you want to get
>     gebser> published, you should submit manuscripts in a format which
>     gebser> the agent or editor desires.
>
> Many academic publishers, esp. those specializing in computer science,
> math, do accept LaTeX manuscripts.

Thats understandable after you recover from the first had trauma caused
by bashing you head against the wall trying to write a mathematical
equation in word ;-)

>     gebser> For electronic submissions this is generally Word (.doc)
>     gebser> format or plain text (ASCII).
>
> Postscript has  been the industry  standard for decades, and  more and
> more electronic submissions accept also  PDF files.  Both of these can
> be easiliy generated from LaTeX.

Although also from just about anything else that can print. Under
windows you define a virtual postscript printer that prints to a file
(any printer driver for a postscript printer will do), under linux it
is already the default format when printing to a file (non-english can
be a pain under mozilla though).