Re: Displaying TABS vs SPACES

From: exits funnel
Subject: Re: Displaying TABS vs SPACES
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 17:11:44 -0700 (PDT)

> I forgot the fontlock entry, this is the full entry:
>
> (custom-set-faces
>  '(my-tab-face            ((((class color))
> (:background "gray10"))) t)
>  '(my-trailing-space-face ((((class color))
> (:background "gray10"))) t))
>
> (add-hook 'font-lock-mode-hook
>   (function
>     (lambda ()
>       (setq font-lock-keywords
>             (append font-lock-keywords
>                     '(("\t+" (0 'my-tab-face t))
>                       ("[ \t]+$" (0
> 'my-trailing-space-face t))))))))

Hey Micha,

I'm finally back to this problem.  I added your code
and it did something, but not what I'd hoped :)
Initially both cases showed up as black which didn't
surprise me.  However I then changed 'gray10' in the
tab-face to 'red10' but still both spaces and tabs
were showing up as black squares.  My immediate
problem is solved as I ended up using hexl-mode which
isn't too user friendly but does allow me to
differentiate the two.  A quick question though:  How
could I discover what allowable values I could use
other than 'gray10?'  I'm pretty new to emacs.  I read
the doc for custom-set-faces but it left me confused.
Thanks for taking the time to respond.

-exits