moderators for GNU lists (Re: no offense, but what's up with the German

From: Joe Corneli
Subject: moderators for GNU lists (Re: no offense, but what's up with the German political ranting & raving?)
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 08:09:01 -0500

OK, well this just reaffirms for me that the GNU 'mailing
lists'=='newsgroups' should be moderated.  I was thinking that a
system whereby anyone who was subscribed to the mailing list could
also sign up for the power to clear any message for posting to the
list.  There could be a simple web interface to see which messages
were in the queue.  It would then be posted to the list with an
additional header item

Cleared-by: Jane Q Hacker (jqh@hotmail.com)
Moderator-score: 3

If Jane happens to clear something questionable (Nigerian scams,
German propaganda, sexdrugs, ...), there should be an easy way to
take away her moderator power, presumably by using some "democratic"
ranking mechanism.  More steps could be taken to quell bogosity, but
I guess you see the idea.