Re: Time to throw away my LOVE - Emacs ?

From: Barak Zalstein
Subject: Re: Time to throw away my LOVE - Emacs ?
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:36:11 -0000

Alan Mackenzie wrote:
I think you've got a particular scenario in mind here.  Would you like to
spell it out in detail?  TIA.

The specific scenario I have in mind is using Microsoft Visual Studio
for development without giving up on Emacs as the IDE. Earlier posting
about developing using Java SDK implies that Emacs versus a more specific development tool is a common problem
across multiple platforms and programming languages.
There are various attemts to "escape", from exporting Makefiles (now you can M-x compile) up to http://www.atnetsend.net/computing/VisEmacs/ and http://codingstyle.com/articles/using-ms-vcpp-with-gnu-wine.html
but OTOH, the vendor IDE will automatically take care of all little
nuances - class wizards, browse info, graphical resource editors,
source control integration and debugging environment to name few.
I don't think that teaching Emacs to access all those features in a MSDEV generated binary is feasible nor productive in the long run, and if you choose the GNU toolchain instead of Visual in order to make Emacs happy, you will suffer from the incomatibility consequense that others will not encounter (again, counterproductive).
My current impression from trying development with Emacs and Visual
cuncurrently is that it can be somewhat compared to two mail clients
competing on the same pop3 account (that is you, the developer).
In the end one of them has to go, and it will be the one which is
incompatible.

Barak