Re: Time to throw away my LOVE - Emacs ?

From: Barak Zalstein
Subject: Re: Time to throw away my LOVE - Emacs ?
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:36:05 -0000

"Alan Mackenzie" <acm@muc.de> wrote in message v064ac.ok.ln@acm.acm">news:v064ac.ok.ln@acm.acm...

> Oh no they won't!  They most certainly won't be appearing on my beloved
> Linux tty, where I run Emacs.  (I only ever start Emacs in X for testing
> purposes).
A fully maximized Cygwin window containing Emacs will look as pleasant as a
Linux tty (and skips GUI portability design decisions altoghether).
Unfortunately, enough reasons to run away from this mode: Backspace
mismatched with Control-H (or other wrong keymaps),
Emacs interpretation of xls, doc, pdf, and html is nonexistent or
insufficient.
And of course the occasional application that runs only in GUI.
As much as I would want to see Emacs as "one stop shop" for all computing
needs,
interacting with non-Emacs users means to use a common ground, which
sometimes means
that Emacs compliance is too much of a distraction to follow.
You cannot really say "Emacs is the right tool" when investment in enhanced
productivity is contradicted
by other programming paradigms (anything visual).

Barak