Re: Using re-builder

From: Michael Slass
Subject: Re: Using re-builder
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 17:08:56 GMT

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

>Phil_C wrote:
> > Thanks, that just about does it - except the beginning and ending
> > quotes are still there. Still, that's much better than it was before,
> > since now I don't have to go through the whole regex deleting "\"s.

That's really strange --- I'm not getting the quotes; in fact, I first
tried (buffer-substring (1+ (point-min)) (1- (point-max))) thinking it
would trim the quotes, and I lost the first and last chars of the RE.

Wierd.

>Well, you could either replace "\\`\"" and "\"\\'" with "", or avoid
>inserting them in the first place:
>
>(let ((regexp (reb-target-binding reb-regexp)))
>   (insert (substring regexp 1 (1- (length regexp)))))
>
>Another approach would be to leave the regexp string in the kill ring,
>but define a new command to yank the regexp itself into the minibuffer.

That's a great idea, but I think it would require a global keybinding
to that new command to be really useful, since you never know where
you're going to want to yank the RE.

>And instead of using replace-string to replace "\\\\" with "\\", you
>might be able to get the lisp reader to do it for you (e.g. with
>make-symbol).

Alas, that's deeper in the lisp pool than I can swim.

--
Mike Slass