Re: modifying movemail

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: modifying movemail
Date: 20 Jun 2004 07:32:00 +0200

Florian von Savigny <florian265@uboot.com> writes:
> Sounds like this intermediate file is the second argument to movemail.
Indeed.

> What makes me wonder now is: is the fact alone that emacs under Linux
> hangs when trying to rmail-get-new-mail from a spool file on a FAT32
> partition enough proof that it is using movemail? After all, it might
> hang when executing its lisp code, and modifying movemail would not
> change a bit about that...

It's possible.  It would be trying to lock it itself.

> [I'll spare the theoretical question: under what circumstances and why
> Emacs (does not) use(s) movemail.]

M-x apropos RET movemail RET

may give some clues...
I guess that if all the variables are nil, it won't be able to use an
external program.

There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not
want merely because you think it would be good for him. -- Robert Heinlein