Re: controlling echo during mouse-dragging

From: David Vanderschel
Subject: Re: controlling echo during mouse-dragging
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 00:11:58 GMT

"John Paul Wallington" <jpw@gnu.org> wrote in message
87smckk1he.fsf@indigo.shootybangbang.com">news:87smckk1he.fsf@indigo.shootybangbang.com...
> Maybe you could display your message in the minibuffer rather than the
> echo area?  See `emerge-show-file-name' for example.  It's hard to
> tell whether that would make a difference without a concrete example
> though.

I tried it.  I can display text in a minibuffer.
However, when I execute the same code inside the
track-mouse loop, nothing happens.  OTOH, invocations
of the message function do have effect - if only
ephemeral.

I will probably just break down and offer my advice by
modifying the content of the buffer itself.  I had
thought the echo area was the logical place for it,
but it won't be a big problem in the buffer.  Just a
bit more work for me.

Thanks,
  David V.