Re: Paragraph indent in LaTeX-mode?

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Paragraph indent in LaTeX-mode?
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 12:02:16 -0600

Edgar Bergen wrote:
> In my .emacs, I load paragraph-indent-minor-mode in a text-mode hook. I'd
> like to be able to do the same for LaTeX-mode (it makes reading easier),
> but the mode doesn't end up being loaded (fill-paragraph treats the
> indentation as a fill prefix, and describe-mode doesn't list
> paragraph-indent-minor...).
>
> (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook
>           (lambda ()
>             (outline-minor-mode)
>             (paragraph-indent-minor-mode)
>             ))
>
> Sadly, I'm ignorant of Emacs Lisp, so maybe I'm missing something obvious
> here. Is anyone using paragraph indenting successfully in LaTeX-mode, who
> can give me a pointer?

`C-h f LaTex-mode' explains:
| Entering Latex mode runs the hook `text-mode-hook', then
| `tex-mode-hook', and finally `latex-mode-hook'.

So you shouldn't need to add paragraph-indent-mode to any other hooks.

Also, note that the hook is called latex-mode-hook, not LaTeX-mode-hook.

Finally, if you want to turn a minor mode on, call it with a positive
argument.  If you don't specify an argument (as above), the mode is
toggled and thus will be turned off if it happened to be on already.

--
Kevin Rodgers