Re: HOME directory on W98

From: gebser
Subject: Re: HOME directory on W98
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 08:21:30 -0400 (EDT)

David,

Thanks for pointing that out.  I meant to say Windows XP.

The mind, they say, is the second thing to go....

ken

At 05:50 (UTC-0000) on Thu, 1 Jul 2004 David Vanderschel said:

= Ken's post does not make much sense to me.  It is hardly surprising
= that Windows does not know where your HOME directory is until you have
= specified a value for the HOME environment variable.  For Windows 98,
= that is normally done in autoexec.bat.  What Ken is talking about
= sounds to me more like what you have to do in NT (etc.) in the absence
= of an autoexec.bat file.
=
= Regards,
=   David V.
=
= <gebser@speakeasy.net> wrote in message
= news:mailman.2832.1088611017.1953.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org...
= >
= > If you're installing emacs on a W98 machine and want to have a .emacs
= > file, you need a place to put it where emacs will find it.  You need a
= > HOME directory.  But W98 doesn't have any HOME environmental variable.
= > But it's easy to create.  Go to:
= >
= > Start | Control Panel | Classic Menus | System | Advanced |
= > Environmental Variables
= >
= > This opens a window where you can click on "New" to create either a User
= > variable or a System variable.  Your choice.
= >
= > Being that it's Windows, of course you have to reboot.
= >
= >
= > hth,
= > ken