How to have a separate I/O window (xterm) with GDB and Emacs?

From: Joachim Nilsson
Subject: How to have a separate I/O window (xterm) with GDB and Emacs?
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 18:56:35 +0200

Hi!

I'm running the latest bleeding edge GNU Emacs from CVS.  I'm
no beginner so I'm not shy for bisarre elisp or C hacks to
solve my current problem.  I'm posting here because I'm really
stuck.

So, if someone could please tell me how I can have a separate
"execution window" a la DDD when using GDB in Emacs I would be
eternally grateful.

It should be possible somehow by spawning say an xterm and
redirect all program I/O using "gdb -tty=device" ...

Why now would I want to do this and *not* use a native Emacs
buffer like everyone else, am I nuts?  No, I have an ncurses
application that I cannot debug inside Emacs because the
output is completely garbled and on top of that it does not
respond to keyboard input either.

I'd like to run the latest (very nice) GDB-UI in Emacs but I'm
stuck with DDD and its separate execution window for now.

Regards
 /Jocke

--
Joachim Nilsson :: <joachim AT vmlinux DOT org>
+46(0)21-123348 :: <http://vmlinux.org/joachim/>