Strange emacs-X interaction.

From: Omri Schwarz
Subject: Strange emacs-X interaction.
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 13:40:11 -0400

Hi, everyone.

I'm managing a machine running Redhat 9 + Fedora Legacy,
one that is showing some strange behavior.
Starting emacs with "emacs -nw" works exactly as expected.
But regular emacs refuses to startup. it just
exits with this error message:

[omri@somehost main]$ emacs
Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
[omri@somehost main]$

This is the error message I get for any attempt
to launch emacs in its own window. This happens
when I do --debug-init, and when I've cleared the
X resources database completely.

[root@somehost main]# rpm -q emacs
emacs-21.2-33
[root@somehost main]# emacs --version
GNU Emacs 21.2.1

Apart from xrdb, is there anywhere I should look
for more useful information?

Thanks in advance,

Omri