Re: recommended russian encoding

From: Bruce Ingalls
Subject: Re: recommended russian encoding
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 13:59:30 GMT

Kevin Rodgers wrote:
Whether a text is encoded as KOI8-R, UTF-8, or whatever has nothing to
do with chip and OS.  But you might consider UTF-8 for maximum
portability across Emacs implementations.

Thanks, UTF-8 does seem to work best, and it worked on w32.
It also worked in gedit on Linux, as well.
However, when I tried opening the file in Emacs on Linux, the UTF-8 encoded Russian characters displayed as garbage.

I am using the precompiled Emacs that is bundled with Fedora Core 2 (latest RedHat). I assume that it has leim & mule bundled in.
How might I check what is going wrong?

BTW, koi8-r fails for both w32 & linux.