Re: file name Completion in Shell (cmd.exe) on Emacs (MS Windows)

From: Sandip Chitale
Subject: Re: file name Completion in Shell (cmd.exe) on Emacs (MS Windows)
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 10:24:34 -0700

"Bruce Ingalls" <ingallsb@verizon._NO.SPAM_.net> wrote in message
news:xTGLc.38724$F8.19654@nwrdny02.gnilink.net...
> Sandip Chitale wrote:
> > Is there any way to make the file name completion correctly in a shell
in
> > Windows emacs?
>
> Windows NT, 2000 & XP have an undocumented registry setting.
> Go into Regedit (after backing it up, and be sure you know what you are
> doing)
> Change
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor\CompletionChar
> 9
> hex
> This will set the command completion to TAB.
>
> Note that Microsoft cmd completion is not as good as Gnu.

Thanks for the info. I already knew about the completion char registry
setting. That is not the problem.

When cmd.exe runs as a shell under emacs, the completion functionality is
provided by emacs. In other words emacs intercepts the tab key to perform
the completion. The completion is performed relative to the
default-directory of shell buffer. The problem is emacs does not correctly
track the default-directory after a command to switch the drive (e.g. C: or
D:) is issued.

Anyhow I have solved the problem by hacking shell.el as described in my
other post.

Sandip