Re: font-lock function matcher sample

From: Arjan Bos
Subject: Re: font-lock function matcher sample
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 20:12:23 +0200

Stefan Monnier wrote:
Basically calling FUNCTION as in

   (FUNCTION lim)

should behave similarly (as far as mach-data, point, and
return value go) to

   (re-search-forward RE lim t)

Thanks, that matches my ideas.

What I have currently is working correctly. First I find a word. If word, limit and point are the same as the previous time the function was called, I return `nil'. Otherwise I calculate the scrabble score for it and if that matches the asked for scrabble score (say 6) then I return `t'. In all other cases, I return `nil'

like in:

(defun beatnik-=-matcher-p (limit score-match)
  "Tries to find a word whose scrable score matches score-match.
If such a word was found, t is returned."
  (if (and (re-search-forward beatnik-font-matcher-regexp limit t)
           (= (beatnik-last-word-score) score-match))
      (progn
        (setq beatnik-last-match (list (match-string-no-properties 1)
                                       limit
                                       score-match
                                       (point)))
        t)
    ;; else
    (if (equal (list (match-string-no-properties 1)
                     limit
                     score-match
                     (point))
               beatnik-last-match)
        ;; we already found it, return nil
          nil
      ;; else
      (while (and (re-search-forward beatnik-font-matcher-regexp limit t)
                  (not (= (beatnik-last-word-score) score-match))))
      (if (= (beatnik-last-word-score) score-match)
          (progn
            (setq beatnik-last-match (list (match-string-no-properties 1)
                                           limit
                                           score-match
                                           (point)))
            t)
        ;; else
        nil))))

Stephan and Alan, many thanks for helping me out. Maybe your comments should find their way to the doc-string or the info pages?

Thanks!

Arjan

If you really want to contact me, then replace the "I see you" text by its three letter accronym, ICU.

Fabricate Diem PVNC, Motto of the Night Watch -- Terry Pratchett