Re: OS X (or other OS's): how to get a fully-qualified domain name?

From: John Owens
Subject: Re: OS X (or other OS's): how to get a fully-qualified domain name?
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 20:49:19 +0000 (UTC)

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664 <at> yahoo.com> writes:
> Emacs does try to get the FQDN from the system; see the init_system_name
> function in src/sysdep.c.

It's calling gethostname, and gethostname on OS X just doesn't seem to
try particularly hard. From a brief experiment, it appears to give a FQDN
when I'm on a static IP, but once my IP becomes a dynamic one (through a
wireless router), it reverts to the non-FQDN name of the machine. Ah well.
Does not appear to be an emacs problem but instead a OS X problem.
(sysctl does not do any better.)

JDO