Re: Win32 - how do I execute a shell command?

From: Paul Moore
Subject: Re: Win32 - how do I execute a shell command?
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 20:43:17 +0100

jasonr (Jason Rumney) @  f2s.com writes:

> Are you sure the shell doesn't like the forward slashes?

Yes. If I replace forward slashes with backslashes, the command works
fine.

> The Windows command-line will not automatically execute Python
> scripts AFAIK, so your command line will either have to start with
> the Python interpretor, or "start ", which invokes the Explorer
> association.

Not true. Both CMD.EXE and 4NT (the shell I am using) have ways of
making Python files directly executable (the PATHEXT variable for CMD,
and executable extensions for 4NT).

The key point is that the *native* path separator is backslash on
Windows. Forward slash is supported in the Windows API as an
alternative, but it isn't native, and that causes problems.

Paul.
--
Instant gratification takes too long -- Carrie Fisher