Re: w32 mule status

From: Edward Casey
Subject: Re: w32 mule status
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 17:19:53 -0500

<jasonr (Jason Rumney) @ f2s.com> wrote in message
uzn5evckt.fsf@jasonrumney.net">news:uzn5evckt.fsf@jasonrumney.net...
> "Edward Casey" <ejmn@cpinternet.com> writes:
>
> > I ran an ediff on the outputs of Show all of mule status on two
> > machines and the differences (all under fontset default and all the
> > indented entries starting with [ ) were:
> >
> >      [-outline-Courier
> > New-normal-i-normal-normal-13-97-96-96-c-80-iso8859-1]

This is an artifact of word-wrap. The lines continue ... Courier New...

> The differences being in the fontset suggest that the fonts are either
> different on the machine that works, or the font setup is somehow
> different. From the format you chose to post the "diffs" in, it is not
> clear what the actual differences are you are seeing.

The differences are just in the lines beginning with TAB [. These lines
are missing from the fontset on the machine that won't display Latin-4
characters.  But on all machines, when I run M-x describe-fontset, I read
that the frame is using a font and not a fontset.

> > Is it possible that the "functions unify-8859-on-encoding-mode and
> > unify-8859-on-decoding-mode to turn on conversion between UTF-8 and
> > ISO-8859" (from your answer to the Cyrillic font problem) could be
part of
> > the solution?
>
> Only if you want Emacs to decode UTF-8 macroned characters as Latin-4.
>
> > I assume that the entry:
> >   [-outline-Courier
New-normal-r-normal-normal-13-97-96-96-c-80-iso8859-4]

> > is the only one relevant to my immediate purposes.
>
> Right.

I still think that the parameters for the fontsets have to be stored
somewhere. What does M-x describe-fontset read? I read somewhere that I
could see extended characters by appending to default-frame-alist but in
the "good" emacs installation I read:

default-frame-alist's value is
((tool-bar-lines . 0)
 (menu-bar-lines . 1))

Since I messed up one of the machines I have 2 fontsets called
fonset-default with different settings. This leads me to believe that the
(create-fontset-from-fontset-spec) function adds the definitions to a list
somewhere.