Re: opening files with unicode characters in the file name on windows

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: opening files with unicode characters in the file name on windows
Date: 03 Aug 2004 08:32:15 +0200

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

>  > I'm cannot get emacs to open up a file that has a file name
>  > with unicode characters in it. I have created these file
>  > names by copy-paste from the Character Map tool in
>  > Windows. As Emacs has good suupport for reading "unicode
>  > formats" like UTF-8, UTF-16 etc it is a pity that it cannot
>  > open these files.

> Does (setq file-name-coding-system 'utf-8) help?

No, even though it was a very interesting option. When I set
that variable I can *save* files and the file names looks
very cryptic in explorer.exe, probably because Windows use
UTF-16, but when I set the variable to UTF-16, emacs seems
to lock up and I have to press C-g almost the whole time,
VERY strange...

Anyway, if I used UTF-8 and saved a file containing swedish
characters, this file was visible with correct characters in
for examle dired, and Windows saw then as garbage.

Is UTF-16 not supported in this case or do I have an emacs
that is buggy (I'm using CVS stuff after all)?