Re: only can use key bind in X?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: only can use key bind in X?
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 06:53:53 +0300

> From: Wade Yin <linux.wade@163.com>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: 04 Aug 2004 10:49:36 +0800
>
>    this is a piece of my .emacs config file:
>
>    (global-set-key [?\C-.] 'goto-line)
>
>    after I enter Xwindow I can use "goto-line" with the bind key "C-.", but
> when I in console mode , it doesn't work...

IN console mode, if you press C-. in Emacs and then type "C-h l"
(that's a letter ell, not a digit one), does Emacs show any key at all
for the C-. keypress?

I'm guessing that it either doesn't show anything or shows just the
period, since consoles normally cannot express "Ctrl-.".  In other
words, the console doesn't send Emacs any code when you press that key
combo.  So there's nothing Emacs can do about that.