Re: opening files with unicode characters in the file name on windows

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: opening files with unicode characters in the file name on windows
Date: 04 Aug 2004 10:42:34 +0200

jasonr (Jason Rumney) @  f2s.com writes:

> Mathias Dahl <brakjoller@hotmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hmm, ok. I will try that, I just have to figure out which
> > code page I am currently using. Thanks for the tip, I will
> > report back my findings here.
>
> Take a look at the value of locale-coding-system. That is the most
> likely candidate for file-name-coding-system.

I tried these now (I actually think they are the same):

(setq file-name-coding-system 'cp1252)
(setq file-name-coding-system 'windows-1252)

And I cannot open the files with cyrillic or arabic or
hebrew characters in them. I am almost convinced that
Windows *do* encode them with UTF-16, but when I set UTF-16
as file-name-coding-system emacs freezes whatever I do and I
have to keep pressing C-g to unfreeze it. :(