Re: opening files with unicode characters in the file name on windows

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: opening files with unicode characters in the file name on windows
Date: 05 Aug 2004 13:28:26 +0200

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> > I am almost convinced that Windows *do* encode them with UTF-16,
> > but when I set UTF-16 as file-name-coding-system emacs freezes
> > whatever I do and I have to keep pressing C-g to unfreeze it. :(
>
> What value, exactly, did you try to use for file-name-coding-system?

I did this:

(setq file-name-coding-system 'utf-16)

I also tested this after starting up with --no-init-file.

If I do

(setq file-name-coding-system 'utf-8)

it works and my file names looks very funny in Explorer.exe if I save
a file with, for example, Swedish characters... :)

I tried something similar on Emacs 21.3 on Mandrake at home, setting
the coding-system to mule-utf-16-le and now my Putty-window sits
there, freezing... :)