Re: opening files with unicode characters in the file name on windows

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: opening files with unicode characters in the file name on windows
Date: 06 Aug 2004 13:44:45 +0200

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Sounds like a bug, so please take this to gnu.emacs.bug.

Last time I tried to post there I got a reply to the e-mail
address I use that the article could not be posted. Is there
another interface than news, maybe an e-mail gateway?

> Meanwhile, if you set debug-on-quit to t and repeat what
> you told above, what traceback do you see after C-q?  That
> traceback should show what function is inflooping for
> utf-16.

This is what I get:

  Debugger entered--Lisp error: (quit)
    utf-8-pre-write-conversion(1 4)
    file-exists-p("h:/")
    make-directory("h:/.emacs.d/auto-save-list/" t)

This is what I do to get this error:

1. Start emacs using --no-init-file
2. M-: (setq debug-on-quit t)
3. C-g -- to make emacs load debug, which it will not be
          able to load after I change the
          file-name-coding-system
4. (setq file-name-coding-system 'utf-16)
5. Wait for a while
6. After switching back to emacs it has frozen
7. "Unfreeze" with C-g

The error is not all the one above, even though the
make-directory part seems to be there most of the times.

Also, I'll try setting my home to a local drive to see if
things change.

/Mathias