ange-ftp pb renaming files

From: Drew Adams
Subject: ange-ftp pb renaming files
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 17:04:57 -0700

I'm using Emacs 20.7.3 on Windows.

I access a remote directory on a Solaris machine in Dired. When I try to
move (rename) marked files I always get errors like the following, where
<MACHINE> is the remote Solaris machine, <PATH> is the directory, <NAME> and
<NEWNAME> are the file to be renamed and its new name:

Move `/<MACHINE>:/<PATH>/<NAME>' to `/<MACHINE>:/<PATH>/<NEWNAME>' failed:
(ftp-error Renaming FTP Error: "---> RNFR /<PATH>/<NAME>"
/<MACHINE>:/<PATH>/<NAME> /<MACHINE>:/<PATH>/<NEWNAME>)

Copy sometimes works (but not recursively), but rename does not.

Sometimes the rename _deletes the original_ without creating the new-name
file. After trying to copy a subdirectory fails, all copies of normal files
fail also, with this error message: (ftp-error FTP Error: BINARY
failed: ---> TYPE I)

There is no problem renaming and copying on the local machine. I guess this
is a problem with ange-ftp?

Any idea what is wrong?

 - Drew