bibtex-complete-string

From: David Chadd
Subject: bibtex-complete-string
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 16:00:52 +0100

I've recently returned to using bibtex-mode for working on .bib files.
The function bibtex-complete-string does not seem to work, either on
my Fink distribution of version 21.2 under Mac OS X or the same
version under Windows.  Specifically, what happens is something
similar to going into an endless loop - everything freezes and only
C-g gets out of it.  No amount of waiting produces a result.  This is
true running the function either from its binding or with M-x.  The
strings in the .bib file are as they should be, the paths seem to be
OK, the file validates and BibTeX processes the strings correctly.

What is annoying (and puzzling) is that this func used to work fine
for me under both Windows and Linux, with (I think) emacs v.19.34.  I
seem to have three distinct bibtex.el files knocking around,
containing latest dates (respectively) 1999, 2000 and 2003.  I can't
remember which (if any) of these I used when the func functioned, but
I've tried loading all three (they look to have identical definitions
of bibtex-complete-string) with a clean (no init-files) emacs, and
they all fail in this way.

I'm probably missing something very obvious.  Any suggestions
gratefully received.
--
Professor David Chadd