Re: read-key-sequence(-vector) on Shift left/right gives[left]/[right],

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: read-key-sequence(-vector) on Shift left/right gives[left]/[right], not [S-left]/[S-right]
Date: 08 Sep 2004 22:02:43 -0500

Charles Davis wrote:

    I cannot seem to get Emacs to recognize either the control or shift
    modifiers for any of the arrow or 6-pack keys.  Only the meta-key
    modifier seems to be recognized.  Is there some variable I need to set
    to make the use of control and shift modifiers of these keys possible?

I responded about the Control modifiers earlier.  Shift modifiers of
these keys are likewise simply ignored unless you are directly
communicating with a window system.  Also, unless you are directly
communicating with a window system, Shift-TAB is the same as TAB, C-A
is the same as C-a and so on.  Again, the only solution I know of is
to only use such bindings for window manager bindings and other
bindings that only make sense when directly communicating with a
window system.

Again, maybe other people know better solutions.

Sincerely,

Luc.