Re: read-key-sequence(-vector) on Shift left/right gives[left]/[right],

From: Charles_Davis
Subject: Re: read-key-sequence(-vector) on Shift left/right gives[left]/[right], not [S-left]/[S-right]
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 07:39:33 -0400

Kai Grossjohann wrote:
> When you use a terminal, it sends escape sequences to the application
> when you hit the cursor keys.  Many terminals send the same escape
> application (Emacs in this case) cannot distinguish them.
> These days, terminals can be configured to send different escape
> sequences for these cases.  Then you need to teach Emacs which escape
> sequence stands for which keypress, and then you can bind these
>keypresses normally.
Kai

I am running Emacs from a BASH shell under CYGWIN.  I have tried changing
the terminal type from the default "cygwin" by doing

TERM=<term type>
export TERM

for 10-15 different terminal types.  Emacs seems to notice that I have
changed terminal type, for it changes the names of the keys.  However, in
every case, the control and shift modifiers are not noticed.

Can you suggest a terminal type for which these modifiers should work?

Thanks for the help.
Regards,
Charles

 Kai Grossjohann