keyword highlighting

From: Dan Boitnott
Subject: keyword highlighting
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 16:26:46 -0500

I'm adding keyword highlighting to a new major mode I'm writing. I'm having trouble getting one type to work. I'd like to set any line that begins with "vms " to font-lock-constant face. I thought something like this should work:

 ("^VMS.*$" . font-lock-constant-face)

But the lines don't highlight at all.  If I do:

("^VMS" . font-lock-constant-face)

the "VMS" is colored but the rest of the line isn't.  If I do this:

("^VMS...." . font-lock-constant-face)

the "VMS" and four characters after are colored. This suggests the caret and the period are working as expected. Is the engine matching un-greedily? Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks,
Dan