Re: can I move back to the last edit position?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: can I move back to the last edit position?
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 17:43:23 +0000

Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> wrote on Fri, 10 Sep 2004 15:53:43 +0300:
> On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 04:49:03PM +0800, Rokia wrote:

>> I think this [moving back to the position of the last edit] is a necessary
>> and basic function. why cant I find it?

I tend to agree, but I've managed to get along without it for some years.
You can't find it because it doesn't exist in Emacs.

> What about saving position in register

> `C-x r <SPC> R'
>      Save position of point in register R (`point-to-register').

Because Rokia doesn't know until he's already left this position that he
wants to jump back.  And having to type `C-x r <SPC> R' after every editing
action is a little irritating, to put it mildly.

It is essential here for the position to be saved automatically.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter