parens matching not matching all matching parens

From: Arjan Bos
Subject: parens matching not matching all matching parens
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 21:19:42 +0200

Hi all,

I'm currently developing yet another rich text format writer. And as you might know, RTF is using curly braces a lot. Alas, every now and then, a normal parentheses pops up between a set of matching {}. Both the parens matching colouring and the forward-sexp / backward-sexp can't handle this. How can I (help to) solve this?

An rtf snippet is included here:

{\rtf1\mac\ansicpg10000\uc1
{\*\pnseclvl4\pnlcltr\pnstart1\pnindent720\pnhang{\pntxta )}}}

This is a complete piece of (non-sensical, but correct) rtf. The first `{' matches the last `}'. Only C-M-f jumps from the first `{' to the one-to-last `}'.

I'm wondering if this is a bug or not.

TIA,

Arjan

If you really want to contact me, then replace the "I see you" text by its three letter accronym, hetnet.

Fabricate Diem PVNC, Motto of the Night Watch -- Terry Pratchett