Re: parens matching not matching all matching parens

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: parens matching not matching all matching parens
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 06:45:28 +0900

Arjan Bos <Arjan.Bos@nospam.ISeeYou.nl> writes:
> They are supposed to be even, yes, and they are. That is the problem. In
> sequence, there are three opening `{', one closing ')' and three closing
> }'. It is very easy for a human to get confused, so I expect(ed) a
> little help from emacs. ;-)

Perhaps you want to remove the parenthes-syntax of "(" and ")" (and
maybe brackets too), so that only braces will ever participate in
matching, e.g.:

   (defvar my-wacky-syntax-table
     (let ((table (make-syntax-table)))
       (modify-syntax-entry ?( "." table)
       (modify-syntax-entry ?) "." table)
       (modify-syntax-entry ?[ "." table)
       (modify-syntax-entry ?] "." table)
       table))

   ;; ... later, in mode init function:
   (set-syntax-table my-wacky-syntax-table)

-Miles
--
80% of success is just showing up.  --Woody Allen