slow startup of tramp

From: Julien Oster
Subject: slow startup of tramp
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 22:02:03 +0200

Hello,

I learned to love tramp, the package where I can remotely edit files
via a shell interface, through ssh or even su.

However, when opening the first file on a remote host (or just trying
to do TAB completion to find the file), tramp takes a long time to
start up. During the startup, all sorts of information which tramp
gathered about the shell is displayed.

It (normally) doesn't ask for a password, since I'm using ssh with
public/private key authentication and ssh agents.

Also, the connection to the hosts where I'm using tramp is usually
very fast.

So why does tramp take such a long time to start up remote
connections? It even does this when I use "/su::/" which works locally
on my fast machine and doesn't use network at all!

Is there anything I can do to make it fire connections faster? Once
the shell connection is established, everything's fine.

Regards,
Julien