Re: Disabling command completion in eshell?

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: Disabling command completion in eshell?
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 19:02:08 +0200

bgm-rao@ieee.org writes:

> How do I disable completion on a eshell prompt?

This won't work for the question you have.

> If I launch an interactive program from within eshell,
> I find that program's command completion is disabled. Is there a way to
> work-around to ensure that programs started out of eshell behave the
> way they do from within a normal tcsh xterm?

The problem is that eshell is not a normal terminal.  In a normal
terminal, every keypress, including TAB, is sent to the application
right away.  In eshell, however, stuff you type is sent to the
application en bloc when you hit RET.

But you can run your program with M-x term RET.  That sends every
keypress directly to the application.

Eshell also knows to invoke M-x term RET automatically for some
programs, such as vi.  So you could hook into that mechanism to invoke
term for your program, too.

Kai