compiling or grepping always shows ":Run Compiling"

From: J. David Boyd
Subject: compiling or grepping always shows ":Run Compiling"
Date: 01 Oct 2004 13:33:23 -0400

I'd like some ideas of how to troubleshoot this.

I used to use emacs 21.1, and it worked fine, and the source was compiled on
the SCO machine at work.

I just compiled emacs 21.3.50, and it doesn't work, and I don't have a clue
how to start finding out why it doesn't work.

I think it is some kind of comint buffer problem, but don't know how to
verify/validate this.

On my Mandrake Linux 10.0 machine at home, and my Windows XP/Cygwin machine at
work, emacs 21.3.50 works totally correct, in that grepping or compiling show
their results, and then the Compiling tag goes away from in the mode line.

On my SCO box, the Compiling tag never leaves, and all buffer mode lines show
"Compiling".

The grep and compile work okay, and I can click in the buffer to open files at
the appropriate locations as reported in the grep and compilation buffer, but
the Compile tag never goes away.

Kind of annoying, as I use that to tell when the compile is done.

Any ideas, anyone?  Where do I begin to look for this?

Dave