Re: where to get the newest version of pcl-cvs ?

From: Martin Jost
Subject: Re: where to get the newest version of pcl-cvs ?
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 13:25:33 +0200

Hello,

here, just some notes on the answers I got (all public as answers into news)

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
jwvzn2qfh8z.fsf-monnier+gnu.emacs.help@gnu.org">news:jwvzn2qfh8z.fsf-monnier+gnu.emacs.help@gnu.org...
> > So: Where are the up to date versions of pcl-cvs kept ?
>
> In Emacs's CVS repository.
> As for the 1.12.9 problem, it's not really fixed there, because the problem
> is that the commit messages have become ambiguous and there's nothing
> PCL-CVS can do about it, really.  Hopefully it'll get fixed in 1.12.10.

Thanks ! (Actually twice !)
So now I know where to look for the bleeding edge and I also know that it will
just now _not_ fix my problem.
And: yes I've even found a thread discussing this problem regarding cvs. But
I've assumed, that it might be already fixed (I didn't find a cvs version
number mentioned in the part of the thread I saw)

"Greg A. Woods" <woods@weird.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
mailman.3047.1097683782.2017.info-cvs@gnu.org">news:mailman.3047.1097683782.2017.info-cvs@gnu.org...
> Did you try getting a newer version of Emacs?  The latest version of GNU
> Emacs is 21.3, available since March 24, 2003, and it still includes
> PCL-CVS as part of the base elisp applications.

I switched back from 21.3 to 21.2 because I got random crashes of 21.3 (on HPUX
10.20) with emacs dying with a SIGALARM. But I never was able to reproduce the
problem, so a bug report seemed rather useless.

> I haven't had any trouble with it, but I'm not sure I'm using the latest
> versions of CVS.   :-)

I tried 1.12.9 out of curiosity. This one has a new format for the start of the
hook-scripts. So this was problem 1 to fix.
Afterwards pcl-cvs got problems. But now I've already invested (some) time and
wanted to solve this.
Unfortunately this won't work at the moment, so I went back to 1.11.17.

"Mark D. Baushke" <mdb@cvshome.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> > As for the 1.12.9 problem, it's not really fixed there, because the problem
> > is that the commit messages have become ambiguous and there's nothing
> > PCL-CVS can do about it, really.  Hopefully it'll get fixed in 1.12.10.
>
> cvs 1.12.10 will have the relative pathname on the line that lists the
>
>     /full/repository/cvsroot/ path/to/the/file,v  <-- to/the/file
>     new revision: 3.1.2.1; previous revision: 3.1
>
> instead of the cvs 1.11.x behavior of
 [...]
> Maybe if we all ask nicely Stefan can make a new release of pcl-cvs
> available that will work with cvs 1.12.10...

I'm looking forward to the new version of cvs and a new pcl-cvs matching it !

Thanks a lot to everybody who answered

Martin